Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Why Are You Moving?

This is a photo of Bound4LIFE director, and prayer intercessor, Matt Lockett in JHOP DC, and it has a lot to do with why we're moving.

Why are we moving? The biggest reason is that our house is an un-inspired, poorly-constructed, suburban nightmare, and I'm not even talking about the people inside. However, the people inside are making the living environment unstable, and thusly, unsafe, so I am making the decision to remove my family from that situation, for their protection and sanity.

But we're not stopping there. No, we're not only moving out of our house, we're making plans to move out of the state.

Merely weeks after finally wrapping up the last bit of paperwork tying us to Virginia, we have decided to move to... Virginia. Or rather, the Virginia side of the Washington DC metro area.

Why are we moving to DC? Well, logically it makes sense if we want to be closer to family and friends from years past and to get out of suburbia, but our reasons are based on more than merely logic.

A little over two years ago, Heather and I traveled from our home-town of Chesapeake, Virginia to Fort Mill, South Carolina to give Heather's younger sisters a ride back to their internship with TheCause. Katie and Melody Crane, my beautiful sisters-in-law, were in the middle of a prayer intercession internship with Chuck Mervin and Lou Engle. After their Thanksgiving break, we brought the Crane sisters back to the base in Fort Mill, and within moments both Heather and I decided, separately, that we wanted to move there. We didn't fall in love with the location, the ease of life there, or even the cheap gas prices, and we certainly didn't fall in love with the weather, we fell in love with the people that made up the movement. That movement was made up of a band of ruffians who wanted little else but to see America revived, and they were willing to pour everything they had into that cause through fasting, prayer, worship, and activism. We fell in love with the Justice House of Prayer.

After living here for over two years, helping to mobilize 70,000 people in a stadium, traveling across the country driving a box-truck, and changing addresses 3 times, we may have missed the train. Or at least we didn't catch the same one everyone else left on. The movement is alive and well, it's just moved to different places in the country. San Francisco, Boston, San Diego, New York City, and DC, are the cities which harbor this motley crew of prayer warriors now.

We got comfortable here in Fort Mill, and maybe a little lazy. I found a job at MorningStar doing what I love to do, and we had a baby. Cool story Hansel, all good stuff, but we started feeling more and more dissatisfied with our situation, and the lack of healthy community that rallied around a central cause that we had grown to love so much.

Now, with the fresh mergence of Bound4LIFE and JHOP in Washington DC, we have once again, like the Millennium Falcon to the Death Star, become drawn to that which we wish to live and die for. Justice in America.

Oh, and that Star Wars reference? It reminds me of another little blog I contribute to: http://fanmade.org

6 comments:

  1. I knew when Bound4Life moved it was only a matter of time till we lost ya'll too. :( I'm so bummed out for us... but happy for ya'll! I know Zay will be ECSTATIC to be reunited with Neat and Durg! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really excited to have you with us up here!

    Here are my top 3 reasons:

    1. You are a genius and one of the most creative and funniest people I know.

    2. You are a great writer and a fellow enthusiast and blogger... I need that around me. And I want to tap you more, because I want people to hear you more. I know you burn for justice and your ability to inspire is unique and needed.

    3. You are like a brother. You are like my family. (That includes Heather, Isaiah and Zoe, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally found the details on the move :P Good to hear you guys have a clear direction! My family is in the midst of a move as well--no small thing--and it's never... easy. Praying for you guys as you get settled in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] 1. Become a ‘FAN’ of Organic Visual on Facebook. 2. Post a current photo of yourself on the wall of the Organic Visual Facebook page. 3. Start your post with “PORTRAIT GIVEAWAY:” 4. In the description, briefly tell me what you intend to use the photo for. 5. Tell me what your geographical location is. I’ll be shooting in Charlotte in June, Hampton Roads and DC in July. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] I know this isn’t the best moment to be looking for a job… in these tough economic times… but Heather and I agree that the location change is something that we need to do. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its really cool, I came to know this really worth visiting, just bookmarked your site.


    http://gisnap.com/
    The place where the fun never ends

    ReplyDelete