Monday, May 11, 2009

Mothers' Day - A Grammar Tribute

Does the day belong to Mother? Does the day belong to more than one Mother? Or is the day a tribute to Mothers? The way I celebrate it, is plural-possessive.

I just would like to preface this by saying that I've never fully grasped the rules and exceptions to the rules pertaining to possessive and plural nouns, and I stand firm on my belief that if someone were to ever completely understand them, the time-space continuum would shatter. This is a tribute the grammar rules my mother still tries to teach me.

When I was young, and talking about the day belonging to my mother, then I would use Mother's Day. It was her singular, possessive day. Hers. Her own, Her precious.

Now, being a husband and father, the day has taken a new personal meaning and I feel compelled to use Mothers' Day as it now belongs to my mother, and my wife who is a mother.

One could argue that the day doesn't belong to anyone, and it is merely a day to remember, honor, and celebrate mothers around the world, hence, the use of Mothers Day like Christmas Day and Valentines Day. I feel like this method is a cop-out, for I am a strong believer that everyone had a mother at one point in their life. It seems natural to me that the day should hold some personal meaning to someone, and thus, be possessive in some form.

Let's talk about Saint Patrick's Day. That day, according to the apostrophe syntax, belongs to Saint Patrick. If the day belonged to his family, then it would be written as Patricks' Day because it was possessed by more than one Patrick. If we used the same rule, then a day belonging to more than one mother would be plural-possessive: Mothers' Day.

See mom, I was paying attention. And if I got this all wrong, then... well, I learned it on the internet.

3 comments:

  1. your "actual" momMay 11, 2009 at 5:12 PM

    These two beauties strike me as timeless. If you had some kind of lens filter for each decade of the Forties, Fifties, Sixties, Seventies (skip Eighties), and Nineties, they would look the part. Truly timeless beauties.
    And there's no such thing as "her's." It's already a possessive pronoun, so it needs no apostrophe: The day is hers. You knew that, didn't you...
    I love you son. I know you learned to spell by spellcheck, but it's all good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, what are you still doing up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photo. Oh, and I agree with you on the grammar. =D

    ReplyDelete