Thursday, March 5, 2009

This Is Africa

This is one of the first photos I snapped in Africa, and probably my favorite out of the thousands that I brought back. When our plane flew into West Kenya, and we landed on the Migori Airstrip, within minutes, we had a swarm of kids welcome us to their land.

I took this photo with my Nikon d50 outfitted with the legendary Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 lens. Looking back, I should have carried the 50mm on the d80 and kept the 15mm on the d50. Well, looking back even further, I would have bought two d700's and gone without food for a couple years.

The photo of these kids just speaks to me about what Africa is. I don't know how to explain it in words, and there's no phonetic replacement for the experience you have when you visit this place. Even this photo, however moving it may be, does not do these boys justice, nor does it hold a candle to the magnificence and beauty of the countryside and it's people. All I know, is that it's hard to look at this picture, and it's equally hard to look away.

1 comment: