Monday, March 2, 2009

Kids + Snow

Snow in Charlotte is a rare thing, and rarely does it last long. Having a layer of white covering the red clay that desperately wants to be grass, made for an interesting commute this morning to Bright City Studios next door. If you thought yellow snow was disgusting, try red clay snow/mud.

This photo was taken with my old, very well made, Nikkor 500mm f8 Mirror Reflex Lens that I got from my father many years ago. I am proud to have been born into a Nikon family, and I am happy that Nikon was kind enough to keep their lens mounts the same through the years. I think, had I been given the chance, I would have chosen Nikon above Canon anyway, but that's like a Capulet saying they wouldn't have wanted to be a Montague if they had the choice.

The girl is our neighbor who was traveling past her house, shovel in hand, to find another hill to conquer. Like a veteran of a great snowball fight, she wears her ruddy cheeks with pride, triumph, and pain. She battles the cold, knowing that she can't possibly win, but certain of the hot cocoa waiting for her when she makes her glorious return.

No comments:

Post a Comment