Wednesday, April 29, 2009

This Is Key

This is a new addition to the B-Room here at Bright City Studios in Fort Mill, SC.

I used to take piano lessons in school, but I was never disciplined enough to really focus on reading music. I could play tunes and memorize finger positions really well, and I had a desire to play, but when I hit a wall, I never really pushed through it. I'm actually grateful to my parents for encouraging me, but not forcing me to practice and study. No doubt, they made me finish my commitment, but when the time came for me to make a decision whether I was going to give up or continue, my parents let me make that decision.

I still have a desire to play music, and I still do, whether it be a solo guitar on the back porch, or an electronic, multi-layered synth sequence on the computer, I love creating tunes. However, even though it's a passion of mine, it's not a priority. I can't take credit for this, but I read somewhere that "Priorities are like arms. If you say you have more than a couple, you're lying or you're crazy". My priority is to provide and care for my family. The fact that I'm able to do that by pushing buttons, aiming cameras and typing on a keyboard, is outstanding to me.

I'm not going to give up my love for music, rather I'm going to take my love for music, art, movies and writing, and I'm going to invest that in my family. I can't give it up, but I can save it for a better time.

I couldn't resist taking a picture of this piece of history. It would also make a great prop or set piece for a portrait. In fact, I'm going to go shoot some right now. I'll see if I can find a willing subject.

2 comments:

  1. Great pic. And good quote about the priorities... where do you find this stuff?

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go to this studio now.

    ReplyDelete